Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 2, and the 8-8-8 Rule

I love my set schedule, have I told you that?!?!

I was watching TV last night and a therapist mentioned the "8-8-8 Rule" - Has anyone else heard of this?? I thought it was a pretty good way to live your life, so I thought I would share.
The rule goes like this:
  • 8 hours for School/Work
  • 8 hours for Sleep
  • 8 hours for Personal Pursuits
When you work a life of retail, that personal time gets shorter and shorter... especially during the Holiday season. I can't tell you how much I hate the 6-Day Work Week! And with the economy the way it is, working that many days is SOOOOO pointless! I also want to say, I hate the fact that if you are a Store Manager, the only way you are ever going to get a Saturday off is if you cut off your right arm and sacrifice a goat (P.S - those are two things I don't recommend to do in the workplace, people will call Human Resources). Oh, and I think in my 6+ years of retail management I can probably count the number of Saturdays I have had off on my fingers. (true story)

How does this calculate into my newly discovered 8-8-8 Rule? When you are working a 9 hour day (often working additional hours off the clock, because overtime is forbidden, but is often necessary to complete things since payroll is SO SO SO tight), working odd hours of the day, receiving phone calls at home, etc. there is not much time for other purists. Honestly, I am shocked that I was able to pull off a wedding... that was an amazing feat! I have no idea how I planned/did anything! (I am saving the adventure of my wedding/almost-didn't-happen-Honeymoon for another day, so stay tuned!)

I think I should elaborate on the "Personal Pursuits" section of the 8-8-8 Rule, and assure may captive audience consisting of my mother, my husband, and my best friend, that family and  a social life are included in that category! Think about how absent I was in your life over the last gazillion years!? I mean, really, can you have an all-inclusive relationship with someone over text?? (Yes, best friend, I know you think we can... but honestly, isn't it fun to see me every-now-and-then? *wink*)

Internet World, It's amazing to SEE my husband! Amazing to SEE my extended family! OMGOMGOMG, I have to let you know I am reclaiming Holidays!! I get to celebrate them instead of trying to beat a 2.0 UPT, with a 50% conversion. Hooray! 

People.... I was a great Store Manager, I really was!!! But, honestly, I think I'm better at living my life. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment