Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

So, did you enjoy anything?

Let’s see…
                             
I found many friendships, like my forever Roommate who introduced me to my husband, and many of my closest friends are ex-coworkers. Oddly enough, I really enjoyed running a cash register. (I could do it all day if I never received a single complaint and I didn't have to sell extended coverage plans.) I also enjoyed merchandising! I found great joy in being able to take a department that was ugly and re-arrange it to make it pretty and perfect. Stupid, but true.

I found that retail was a "great social experiment" for me. Finding new ways to make people buy crappy product was always a unique challenge. When it worked I felt a great sense of accomplishment, like I had just beat the boss at the end of a video game. I learned a great deal about how cruel the "real world" was, and how back-stabbing some people can be. Yes, I know that sounds negative... but believe me; I needed those social experiences to grow and develop as a person. You get a special blend of skills as a retail manager, and I wouldn't trade those years for anything. Oh, and of course the money, I really enjoyed making lots of money. (Can you say BONUS??)

I say those things, BUT, it was time to get out. Actually, retail freedom had been knocking for several years… I was just too lazy to look for another job and too scared to lose my fat paycheck to answer the door.

Well internet, I have re-read this blog, and I realized that this is a pathetic list. I hope that by the end of this 365 day project I have better things to write about. Until then, this incredibly bitter blogger is heading off to go enjoy some fancy chocolate and Ice Wine from Canada (sorry, you will be hearing about Canada until the 27th, it’s a big thing in this house right now).

P.S. “Yummmmm....”


3 comments:

  1. Kim!

    Your blog is awesome. It reminds me of all the horrors I witnessed and endured during the last 9 years. But it's funny instead. I especially love the comment about adults being unable to put shoes back in a box. Just thinking of cleats season makes me cringe. Finally free of it all and on to bigger and better things! In a strange coincidence, I started a blog this week with almost exactly the same theme, although I'm not sure I'm dedicated enough to post every day. I'm also having to deal with how open to be and if I need to change people's names so I don't get myself into trouble. I hope you and the Hub are well. Keep blogging!

    ~Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked in a DIY store for ten years, selling things and behind a cash register. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy Katy!

    I had to make the 365 Day Challenge, or else I was positive that I would lose track of this blog...

    I have the same reservations about mentioning names. Husband, Roommate, Best Friend, and Canadian will just have to figure out who they are by themselves. :) I ALSO want to be very careful about not mentioning companies, as some were better than other, and being sued doesn't sound like the good kind of adventure.

    I can't wait to follow your blog! I LOVE the title, it's SO perfect. I follow your adventures on facebook... so this will be one more place to keep up with your amazing life!

    P.S. - Rob, thank for the comment! The cash register was the best part of my retail adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete