Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Adventure at the Drug Store.

I have learned over the years that all too many people justify their behavior with the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thought. 

Yes, my friends, it is true. If you wear a pair of pants for 6+ years, and when they just "fall apart" on you, you can return them to the store you purchased them, pitch a fit, ask for the manager, then ask for the DM and corporate number and Mrs. Manager's name... Guess what? They will return them for you.  FOR FULL PRICE. Now, you might have to wait while someone scrambles to find a SKU number or something that is similar to the pair of pants you are holding. (Never mind that you are screwing up their inventory, and affecting the raise percentage of the crew during review time... I mean dang-it, you need new pants!) Hell, half that time the entire crew at a store has only been around for 2iiiiish years, so you probably can return ANY pair of pants to that store... even if you bought them in Antarctica.

Just amazing, right? Non-retail people, I know it looks like I just opened a pot of gold, but believe me, sometimes you run into crazy people like me, and then it becomes a whole different story...

I know, the title is about a Drug Store. I'm getting there... hold on... background information is key to this story! :)  Last little tid-bit that you need to know, I am a very opinionated person, very-very-very! I thank my Father for that! I thank my Mother for giving me the will power to hold back when "outbursts of opinion" might get me kicked out of a restaurant, or ya know, fired. 

My Adventure at the Drug Store:

I woke up and decided the day felt like a "need additional caffeine to survive" day. So I opted to stop at a Drug Store and pick up a Diet Coke. Apparently, everyone had the same idea because the line was HUGE. Sadly, there were only two cashiers, one who was ringing people up like a pro, and another who was slower, but apologizing to everyone because she was new. During my wait, I was stuck behind that customer, you know the one, the guy who complains at the top of his lungs about everything because apparently he wasn't hugged enough as a child and being loud is his only way of getting noticed in life. 

Finally it is his turn, he is rung up by the new cashier who asked if he has a discount card, and he didn't, so she didn't give him the discount price. Oh my, it's was like she killed his first born son, he lost his miiiiind over a dollar! He started screaming and calling her "stupid" and "incompetent" and, of course, asking for her manager. So she did. Well I have a caffeine addition that is stronger than my willpower to play nice, so I walked up to the cashier and asked to be rung up. The guy started going off on me.... and that's when I went psycho on a customer in the Drug Store for 15mins... 

... other customers applauded. No joke

Honestly, unless a cashier does something like call you Llama-Face, there is nothing that is going to happen by you calling that manager. You will get your discount, for sure, but the manager will probably ask the cashier to step off the sales floor... so in reality you are simply giving them an extra 10 minute break. And if you really think that there is going to be a "talkin' too" because they refused to return your 6+ year old pants, you have another thing coming. If someone follows the company rules you cannot punish them, and there are rarely enough witnesses to prove either side of the story so the conversation usually goes like this, "you followed procedure, good job, I'm sorry the customer was unreasonable."

The truth is Retail Managers see so many lunatics, and we tend to always side with the cashier. Sorry non-retail peeps, asking for someone to get fired will not lead to their termination. 

So there is... my Drug Store story! Did you even make it through? I know this one was kinda a long one... I had to make up for last night. :)

Oh, and DAY FOUR! Woo-Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment