Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Public Transportation.

I have decided that it is time to give up the car and start taking the train to work.

I would like to say that it's because I want to reduce my carbon footprint on the earth, but the reality is that gas prices are over $4.00 now and I am doing it more to save my wallet, than my planet. I feel a bit of shame writing that... actually admitting my selfishness.

Here is my dilemma. I spend roughly $45.00 every 4 days in gas, which is equal to 337.50 every 30 days. A coaster pass is $120.00 a month. I would drive 5 miles to the coaster station, get to work, and then walk the 5(ish) blocks to the office. This would take extra time during the day, and I wouldn't get home as quickly. Is it worth it to lose this time to save money? (And ya know, save the planet?)

Right now I think the answer is yes. This view might change once I actually have to do it... but currently I think it's the best solution to the "money for gas" problem that has snuck up on me.

I am starting this on May 1st, and have promised myself that I will stick with it through the entire month. I have a feeling that after a LONG day at work I am going to be irritated that I have to walk all the way to the coaster station... but I think the savings will be well worth it! (I hope)

So wish me luck! I am not the best at change....

No comments:

Post a Comment